29 January 2009

Figuring shit out

So I decided to shadow this Ob/Gyn guy today, as part of my "figuring shit out" sub-task (part of the "transition to awesomeness" campaign). It was hilare supreme, and I have never seen so many ectocervixes in my life. Actually I hadn't even seen one through a speculum until today.

I'm not going to say anything shattering like it was "liberating" or whatever, but I did learn how to do a pap smear. Ob/Gyn seems to have a strong surgery / clinic / basic science component to it. I'm starting to appreciate the clinic portion a lot more - just as long as it doesn't become the least bit redundant, like family practice or pediatrics.

Pretty cool.

Over the next year, I'm going to be trying out different specialities to see which one I can successfully discount, which is the most I should hope for. I'm not expecting - nor willing - to settle on one just yet.

I have no idea how people have already settled on certain specialities. 'Liking working with children' is not the same as 'liking pediatrics'* I mean, I'll admit, I thought of myself as settled on trauma (or plastics, lol), but explaining things to patients has its own virtues. Plus, I couldn't live with making a ton of jokes every day.

Oh and...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unBACOHFXes

What the hell is up with this "mars lander business"? Haha.

*: I have odd ways of pronouncing this. I say the "ped" in pediatrics like pedophile-ped, not PEED.

No comments: