03 February 2008

Ahn Titch Em

That's the title of my post - it means "I like you" in Vietnamese, a line I was going to use on barrel-o-monkeys, but somehow it didn't work out. Don't worry. I'm perfectly fine. Better than fine, actually.

Anyway. I went to this Vietnamese culture festival. Originally I thought it was a semi-formal event, so I was feeling underdressed going there with just slacks and a dress shirt. Apparently, high schools in austin suck (surprise surprise! I hate this city.), so instead of theater seating, they had plastic chairs. Oh and I was overdressed. I swear I heard gunshots a couple of times. I even met one of my students there. Man, it's great to stand around and have people come up and be like HEY DON'T I KNOW YOU.

(I sometimes forget I have a new toy to help me in my online journalism.)

I have a criticism though. Traditional Vietnamese dresses look awesome (like almost all traditional Asian dresses) - cf. "Ao dai". Sometimes I wish this culture was celebrated more than the degrading 6th street bullshit VSA exemplifies.

Afterwards, I went to dinner with a friend and two other people who had been raised in the rough of Houston. As they recanted stories of blood and gore, I actually found myself strangely attracted to them. Nothing serious, of course, but I reasoned that I'd been around weak women for so long, it was refreshing to meet a pair of Amazonians.

I had become used to women being so needy and insecure with themselves that I've actually opened myself up to being vulnerable to the 'damsel in distress' type. I suppose that fits in nicely with the God Complex.

Pathetic, I know.

3 comments:

Nimisha said...

FINE = Freakishly Insecure, Neurotic and Emotional

But you know that.

Nimisha said...

It's actually 'freaked-out, insecure, neurotic, emotional'.

Is the blue sky the reason why most animals are not obese? One can argue that the blueness of the sky is not disappearing like the greenery around us.

Anonymous said...

Решила купить в кредит [url=http://shkafy.com/vstroennye/]встроенный шкаф[/url] напишите что нибудь, выбор сейчас стал такой огромный не могу понять чего выбрать