03 December 2009

Punctuation and communication

I'm going to start out with an email response I got from a certain unnamed genetics professor.

I asked a question. What I asked is probably not important, so I'm going to cut the bullshit and get to the response:*


I'LL ASK YOU A QUESTION: YOU'RE 12 YO PATIENT HAS A MOTHER WITH COLON CANCER DX AT AGE 32Y. WHAT DO YOU NEED TO FIGURE THIS OUT? WHY DOES THE MOTHER HAVE COLON CANCER THAT YOUNG. IS YOUR 10 YO PT AT RISK? HOW CAN YOU FIGURE THIS OUT? YOU NEED MORE INFO ABOUT HTE MOTHER FIRST AND ABOUT THE FAMILY. IF THE PATH SPECIMEN SHOWED MULTIPLE POLYPS THEN THINK FAP. YOUR PT MAY NOT HAVE POLYPS YET. ARE YOU GOING TO WAIT UNTIL THEY SHOW UP "CLINICALLY" OR WILL YOU GET A DNA TEST FIRST??? 



Let's begin.

1. All caps? Really? Sounds like you're shouting. Only John Wilson can get away with that, and only because he teaches so well, with kickaess drawings. Also, he has a booming voice. We all miss John Wilson.
2. Please don't answer questions with questions. It's like looking up a word and finding other words to describe it.**
3. The triple "?'s" in the end. Totally unnecessary. It's like getting all up in your face. huh? Huh? HUH? Like the donkey, from Shrek.

Still, you gotta give it to the prof. She has 2 genetic syndromes named after her. And that is why I will go back into my corner, and memorize all her slides. FML, son.

\\

I think I'm slowly going to transition away from GTalk (except for a select few, you know who you are), and just make phone calls. Want to talk? Pick up the phone. More personal, more time saved (GTalk wastes so much time.), less convenient (You're not that busy - get over it, have a picnic.)

Far too much text these last few posts. Next one will have a picture.

*: 18 months of med school will help you appreciate this sentiment. And if you really wanted to know, I was asking about a FAP Dx tree.
**: Not exactly, but you get my point. Dictionaries should be massive picturebooks.

No comments: