Philosophy is hard. Usually when I speak up in class, it's to give an answer, or at least, my statements have some merit.
But yesterday, I said something, and he was like "I don't see the force behind that", and moved on. Pwned. :(
So as of right now, I have no idea what's going on. Something about Kant/Buddha/Upanishads. It would probably help if I paid attention when I read something, but that doesn't work either, since I'm illiterate.
The other day, they started talking about molecules and stuff. I was like... "Ok.. you're a philosophy teacher, I'll give you the water molecule". But then he went and started talking about protons and quarks. This is why I have trouble paying attention. Some hippie in philosophy knows what quarks are.
That's another thing. Why is that teacher so badly dressed? He comes in with a t-shirt and a pair of shorts. That's a very very far cry from the hardcore sciences, who either have a tie or a dress shirt/slacks AND they have one of those leather binders with the UT seal in which they carry all their class notes.
This hippie reads off the website.
1. What happens when you greet them?
- Philosophy : Hai [gum-showing smile](not "yes", but "Hi" in the most hippie way possible)
- Physics : Good Morning. [content appearance, quick exit]
2. Conduct in class:
[someone says a mildly amusing joke]
- Philosophy: HAHAHAHAHAOWIJAOWIJADOIWDAOWDHEEHEEE [eyes well up, teeth/gums all exposed, etc, makes you think he's a pedophile]
- Physics : [light chuckle] Moving on to _____ quant___ in tran___ ____-incorporating systems
- Philosophy: Should we have a quiz? I think so. Perhaps a review session. Oh man, that means I have to make review notes.. gosh darn it.
- Physics : We're having a quiz* next week. I'll give a 10 minute review, and you're expected to know how to do Fourier transforms** on it.
*Note, that when he says "quiz", he really means a 6-8 page quiz, which is called a test among my internal advising circles.
**Ability to do Fourier transforms is a pre-requisite to being kickaess.
4. Patience with other hippies
- Philosophy: Hey, CharLAY, how's life? Did you read that excerpt from ____ yesterday? Wasn't it interesting?
- Physics : Go kill yourself. [exit]
As you can tell, I don't like him very much. Either because I can't understand, or he can't teach. I'm actually leaning toward the first reason. Perhaps I'm just bitter.
I had my Japanese Oral today, and I totally screwed up one question:
Katayama: What must you do in class? (nani o shina kereba narimasen?)
Me: You must sleep. (nena kereba narimasen)
Of course, that answer makes no sense, even though I phrased it (gramatically) correctly. At least... I think I did.