14 February 2006

QUANTUM MECHANICS LAB IS F***ING AWESOME

Omg. Lemme tell you how awesome it is (not even in a nerdy sense!)

Last year (fall), I took wave mechanics. The lab class was 3 hours long, and the lab TA made us stay for ALL THREE HOURS.

But Quantum Lab? O shit. I show up, do a kickass experiment (superconductivity with liquid nitrogen) -- haha it seems that liquid nitrogen shows up everywhere in my life --.

In waves, we did "interference and diffraction" for 3 hours. What the hell? Superconductivity took 1 hour, and we got to see things hover in the air. Played around with liquid nitrogen for a while. So awesome.

One hour later, we're done (doing the experiment 6 times). The TA says "you guys can go". That's not even the awesome part. This superconductivity is supposed to be .. 18 hours long of an experiment (spread over 3 weeks). We had it done in 1 hour. ONE HOUR.

THAT MEANS I DON'T HAVE TO SHOW UP IN QUANTUM LAB FOR ANOTHER 2.5 WEEKS!!!!

I will now answer the question of 'Why?'.

Why? Why do anything? Why work/research/read/work more? Why?

It's about intelligence. I'm not going to be super modest and say I'm mentally retarded. I'll admit, although it may sound conceited, that I'm say "above average".

Intelligence is not a gift, nor a privledge, but a burden. It must be used for the benefit of man. Can't understand? I redirect you to the story of Prometheus, a pretty smart Titan.

Promethus gave man the gift of fire, and for this, he was punished. Vultures would pick at his liver during the daytime, and it would regrow back the next day, just to be picked at again. [i think that's right]...

Anyway, for his contributions to mankind, he is known as "the patron saint of man" and the "the inventor of sacrifice". Ultimate ideal eh?.. Well for me anyway.

I've never really told anyone this, but I guess its ok for you guys to know. (that means, feel special).

I leave it to you to find out what the sacrifice is. I'll find the fire. hopefully.

:)


More about Prometheus:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prometheus

Here's superconductivity. See how it floats? I saw that. And played with it. Aren't you all jealous now? [no? no?] hahaha



I'll send out some valentines ecards later.

No comments: